Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Key milestones related to baby getting ready to sign

For the past week or so I've been saying that Owen is getting ready to begin his signing journey. He has just begun to reach his arms up to be picked up and will hand an item to me with curiousness written all over his face, as if to ask "what is this?" He reaches in to give me a kiss on the mouth very purposefully, by the way I can't get enough of those wet baby kisses! And he looks at me and almost expects me to sign whenever I have a glass of water in hand while I'm holding him and he eagerly wants a sip, or if he happens to spy some apple slices on the counter. WATER and APPLE are two of his favorites that I've shown him lately. I constantly say that Owen is a very easy, happy baby, but even with the happiest of babies they all have upsets at some point. Owen does not enjoy long car rides or being stopped at a red light (what baby does right?) And he gives me that incessant baby whimper that is not really a cry, but the sound to just let me know he is bothered. Today I used this as a great signing opportunity as I distracted him with Gerber veggie sticks to keep him happy and signed EAT. I could see the newfound receptive look to this sign finally!

Kids say the cutest things.... the other day Amberly wanted help looking for something, she said "Mom, peel your eyes."

No comments:

Post a Comment